More in this section

Permits & inspections

Whether building a new home or business, or making changes to an existing electrical or natural gas installation, we can help you get the required applications, permits, and inspections.


  • Residential do-it-yourself wiring
    If you can do electrical work for your home or cottage, submit a self-wire permit, install safely, and book an inspection.
  • Structure move clearance permit
    If you are moving a building or oversized structure, you must apply for a clearance permit so we can move power lines or electrical facilities out of your way.
  • Farm equipment clearance permit
    If you are driving or towing farm equipment over 4.8 metres high, you must have a clearance permit to ensure your route has safe clearance from our power lines and electrical facilities. The permit is free.
  • Shore land development
    If you own or lease property next to shore lands along the Winnipeg River system, you must obtain approval before building or development.

Inspections, codes & standards

Electrician’s license verification

Digging, landscaping & excavation

  • Call or click before you dig and we will locate and mark your property for electrical and/or natural gas lines. The service is free.
  • Hot dig/safety watcher excavation permit
    Apply to safely excavate with water or air pressure and provide a safety watcher for your site. Only contractors with qualified operators can apply for this permit.
  • Natural gas project review
    Apply for approval for any work on or around any natural gas infrastructure. Construction cannot start until we locate and mark underground gas utilities.