More in this section

Wrap up the holidays in safety

The holidays are a special time of year filled with twinkling lights and colourful decorations. It’s also a time that can present additional shock and fire hazards, especially for young children. Recognize and remove these hazards to keep curious toddlers and young children safe. Here are some things that you can do:

  • Do not put tree lights, ornaments, or other small “mouth-sized” decorations near the ground or on the lower limbs of a Christmas tree where a child can reach them easily.
  • Ensure that electrical decorations and toys are safety approved and use them appropriately.
  • Never leave light sockets empty.
  • Use safety caps on all unused electrical outlets.
  • Do not run extension cords across walkways or in high-traffic areas.
  • Replace frayed electrical cords with others that are appropriately insulated and protected.

A child can choke on very little cord. If possible, keep children away from electrical cords altogether.

  • Never leave a child unsupervised when you’re cooking or when an electric or gas stove is within reach. Unattended cooking is one of the leading causes of home fires during the holidays.
  • To prevent burns and electrical shocks, do not give a young child a toy that must be plugged into an electrical outlet.
  • Never use space heaters in rooms where children are unsupervised. Children may stick their fingers or other objects through the protective guards and be burned or shocked.

Electricity is a powerful tool that lights up the holidays, but it can also be a lethal hazard.

Good safety habits every day of the year are the best prevention against electrical dangers.