Environmental management system
We have developed and implemented an environmental management system (EMS) that meets international standards. An EMS is a set of tools and processes a company uses to realize its environmental goals. Having a good EMS enables a company to identify its environmental impacts, set goals to manage them, implement plans to meet those objectives, evaluate performance, and make continual improvements to the system.
We are a member of the Canadian Electricity Association (CEA) and an active participant in the Sustainable Electricity Program. Sustainable electricity is an industry-wide sustainability initiative developed and implemented by CEA and its utility members. Sustainable electricity is our response to the challenge of creating a sustainable tomorrow.
The Sustainable Electricity Program was implemented under the strategic guidance of the CEA Board of Directors, and addresses the 3 components of sustainability: environment, society, and the economy. The Program enables the electricity industry to take a holistic approach to managing its impacts and securing a collective energy future.
Sustainable electricity is comprised of:
- CEA utilities committing to the Policy for Sustainable Development – Corporate Responsibility.
- CEA utilities reporting annually on environmental, social, and economic performance indicators.
- the Program is guided by an external Public Advisory Panel;
- each utility must undergo independent external verification as part of its commitment to the Program.
- Environmental Management Policy (PDF, 157 KB).