Connect electrical and/or natural gas service to a commercial building. This service application is for:
- new service;
- changes, additions, or upgrades to existing service;
- temporary service.
Read all the steps before you start the application
The steps list your responsibilities and possible timelines.
We cannot process your request without all required information and documents.
This step may take: 3–5 business days to process your completed application.
Gather all required information and supporting documents before you start the online application.
You must include all of the following:
- legal business name and contact information;
- legal name of customer/company who owns the building/lot, and who is responsible for making the payment;
- builder/electrical/mechanical contractors and/or consultant contact information;
- electrical information:
- overhead, underground, or temporary service;
- preferred voltage, service size (in amps), and estimated demand (in kVA);
- detailed loads (breakdown of demand and motor loads);
- non-linear load information;
- single line diagram.
- natural gas information:
- detailed loads, including future loads;
- requested metering pressure;
- load summary (MS Excel, 17 KB).
- site plan;
- barcode number on closest hydro pole.
Estimate and agreements
This step may take: 20–60 days after we have received your completed application.
We will provide an estimate and service agreement for your project. If your application was incomplete in any way, there will be a delay in providing your estimates, and electrical and/or natural gas agreements.
The planning and design of your service connection starts after we have:
- all the documents;
- signed agreements;
- payments for your project.
Planning and design
This step may take: 90–150 days depending on the scope of the work and any changes you request.
After we receive your signed agreements and payments, we will meet you on-site to review your project.
During this step, we will:
- discuss the project completion date;
- create a detailed design for your project;
- request easement agreements;
- order materials for construction.
You will sign off on any required drawings and agreements.
Easements and approvals
This step may take: 60–120 days to request and sign off on easement agreements, depending on external approvals (agencies other than Manitoba Hydro).
Before any construction can be scheduled:
- we will request any easement agreements;
- you will sign off on the easement agreements and any required drawings.
As easements are registered and approved by other entities, we are not responsible for any delays.
Site preparation and construction
This step may take: 20–60 days depending on scope of work and site condition.
After the design plan is complete and any easements have been registered, we will inspect your site for readiness and contact Click Before You Dig MB and other utilities before we begin construction.
The site must:
- have a final grade of ± 6″;
- have all trees, equipment, and garbage removed from construction area;
- have all required electrical and/or natural gas permits.
Permits are not required when you apply for service, but before we can turn your service on you must have all applicable permits and have passed all inspections.
This step may take: 5–20 days to turn on your service, once construction and final inspections are complete.
Once construction is complete and your site has passed all inspections, we turn on your service.
All electrical work:
- must be installed by a qualified and licensed electrical contractor, and electrical permits must be issued and received prior to beginning any work;
- must be inspected by a Manitoba Hydro or City of Winnipeg electrical inspector;
- must comply with the Manitoba Electrical Code for installations in the jurisdiction of Manitoba Hydro and the City of Winnipeg Electrical Bylaw when in the jurisdiction of the City of Winnipeg.
All natural gas work:
- must be installed by a qualified and licensed gas fitter, and natural gas permits must be issued and received from Inspection and Technical Services Manitoba prior to beginning any work;
- must be inspected by a Manitoba Hydro natural gas inspector (some commercial/industrial installations also require an inspection by Inspection and Technical Services Manitoba);
- must follow the national Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code and Inspection and Technical Services Manitoba requirements.
Visit the Inspection and Technical Services Manitoba website or phone 204-945-3373.
After you apply
Once you have submitted a complete application, we will assign someone to your project. They will contact you for any missing information, discuss project scope, service dates, and arrange on-site meetings.
They may request your complete AutoCAD files (.DWG), which include a site plan, building layout, parking layout, sewer and water details, and grading.
If you do not have an established account history, a security deposit may be required.
Help with your application for service
Contact us for help with your application: