Energy Finance Plan
The Energy Finance Plan is convenient on-bill financing for upgrades to gas and electrical systems. It is available to Manitoba Hydro residential, small commercial, farm, and seasonal customers.
- The minimum monthly payment is $15.
- The minimum amount that can be financed is $500.
- Monthly instalments will be applied to your energy bill. Repayment of the loan is the responsibility of the homeowner and not the tenant.
- Additional payments may be made at any time with no penalty.
- A $20 administration fee will apply for complete payments prior to 6 months.
- The loan becomes due and payable when the house is sold or transfers ownership. The loan is not transferable.
- The cost of one upgrade cannot be split between two Energy Finance Plan Agreements or between financing programs.
Steps to participate
Check to see if you are eligible
The Energy Finance Plan (EFP) is available to Manitoba Hydro residential, small commercial, farm, and seasonal customers with approved credit who meet our eligibility criteria.
If you are an eligible customer, ensure that your project is for a qualifying upgrade.
Contact a registered supplier
To participate in EFP, contact a registered program supplier (contractor or retailer).
The supplier works with you to ensure your project is eligible. They will help you complete an EFP application and submit it to us on your behalf. We will review your application and conduct a customer credit review. If approved, we will notify your supplier and your project may begin.
- You must have approval before any work is started or any materials are purchased.
- We do not provide a registered suppliers list or endorse any service professionals. We recommend following our tips for hiring a contractor to ensure you feel confident in finding a supplier that best fits your project’s needs.
Complete your project
Once your project is complete, your supplier arranges for all homeowners to sign and date the Completion Certificate.
This document indicates that you acknowledge the work at your property was completed in full and authorizes us to pay your supplier directly for invoice costs.
Pay the loan through your monthly energy bill
The monthly loan payment is conveniently placed on your energy bill.
You can make additional payments to your loan at any time. An administration fee of $20 is charged if your loan is paid in full during the first 6 months.
Financing is available with the following conditions.
- Manitoba Hydro must approve your application before any work is started or any materials are purchased.
- You must be the owner of the property in which energy improvements are made.
- You must have an active Manitoba Hydro account and be approved for credit from Manitoba Hydro.
- If the upgrade is for a seasonal property that is on seasonal billing, you must be changed to monthly billing to be eligible for the Energy Finance Plan.
- Indigenous customers living in Band-owned homes are eligible for financing with a Band Council Resolution.
- Mobile homes on permanent foundations with a permanent water supply are also eligible.
- The home must be detached or semi-detached.
The loan covers the following qualifying upgrades.
- Upgrades to electrical service entrance and panel board equipment.
- Wiring circuits and associated equipment.
- Natural gas piping, venting, delivery, permit costs, and taxes.
- Central air conditioning systems (must have a minimum seasonal energy efficient ratio [SEER] of 13.0).
- Electric/conventional natural gas water heaters (electric must meet CSA C-191 standard).
- Chimney liner in conjunction with a qualifying water heater.
- Electric and natural gas furnaces/boilers for seasonal, farm, and commercial customers.
- Combination heating systems.
- Unit heaters (natural convection, forced air, or forced air infrared).
- Direct vent natural gas fireplaces (built-in and free-standing).
- Security lighting and fixtures when undertaking electrical and energy improvement work.
- Gas pool heaters.
- Permanently installed electronic air cleaners (the use of any plug-in type of power adapter is not allowed).
- Permanently installed dehumidifiers (hard-wired).
- Permanently installed humidifiers (hard-wired).
- Permanently installed air purifiers (hard-wired).
- Furnace UV lights.
- ERVs not rated to −25°C.
- Air source heat pumps for natural gas heated properties.
- Radon mitigation (through a C-NRPP certified contractor).
Ineligible homes and materials
Financing is not available for the following.
- Wiring and related equipment for buildings not previously supplied with electrical service.
- Unoccupied homes or homes under construction.
- Purchase of free-standing or built-in-appliances including (but not limited to) countertop ranges, garbage disposal units, wall ovens, water pressure systems, range hoods, vacuum systems, and dishwashers.
- Natural gas and electrical materials that are not installed by an allied gas fitter/electrician licensed by the Province of Manitoba.
- Projects in progress or already completed.
- Used equipment or materials.
- Masonry or carpentry for mantels or hearths (unless part of a larger project).
- Companion appliances purchased independently.
- Back-up generators.
- Sump pumps.
- Any replacement parts.
- Your labour (only materials and equipment are eligible for do-it-yourself projects).
- Labour only (labour can only be financed with a qualifying upgrade).
- Wood stoves, wood boilers, or any wood-fired heaters/furnaces.
What if my contractor or retailer is not registered?
If you would like to participate in our residential financing programs but your contractor or retailer is not registered in our network of suppliers, they can apply to join.