Energy Finance Plan
The Energy Finance Plan is convenient on-bill financing for upgrades to gas and electrical systems. It is available to Manitoba Hydro residential, commercial, farm, and seasonal customers.
- You can finance up to $ per residence.
- The maximum term is 5 years.
- The annual interest rate is currently 6.75% (O.A.C.).
- The minimum monthly payment is $15.
- The minimum amount that can be financed is $500.
- Monthly instalments will be applied to your energy bill. Repayment of the loan is the responsibility of the homeowner and not the tenant.
- Additional or complete payments may be made after 6 months from the first finance charge on your account. A $20 administration fee will apply for complete payments prior to 6 months.
- The loan becomes due and payable when the house is sold. The loan is not transferable.
- The cost of one upgrade cannot be split between two Energy Finance Plan Agreements or between financing programs.
- You must be the owner of the property in which energy improvements are made and have an active Manitoba Hydro account in good standing.
- If the upgrade is for a seasonal property that is on seasonal billing, you must be changed to monthly billing to be eligible for the Energy Finance Plan.
The loan covers the following qualifying upgrades:
- upgrades to electrical service entrance and panel board equipment;
- wiring circuits and associated equipment;
- natural gas piping, venting, delivery, permit costs, and taxes;
- central air conditioning systems (must have a minimum seasonal energy efficient ratio [SEER] of 13.0);
- electric/conventional natural gas water heaters (electric must meet CSA C-191 standard);
- chimney liner in conjunction with a qualifying water heater.
- electric and natural gas furnaces/boilers for seasonal, farm, and commercial customers;
- combination heating systems;
- unit heaters (natural convection, forced air, or forced air infrared);
- direct vent natural gas fireplaces (built-in and free-standing);
- security lighting and fixtures when undertaking electrical and energy improvement work;
- gas pool heaters;
- permanently installed electronic air cleaners (the use of any plug-in type of power adapter is not allowed);
- permanently installed humidifiers (hard-wired);
- permanently installed dehumidifiers (hard-wired);
- permanently installed air purifiers (hard-wired);
- furnace UV lights;
- ERVs not rated to −25°C;
- air source heat pumps for natural gas heated properties;
- radon mitigation (through a C-NRPP certified contractor).
Financing is not available for:
- wiring and related equipment for buildings not previously supplied with electrical service;
- unoccupied homes or homes under construction;
- projects in progress or already completed;
- purchase of free-standing or built-in-appliances including (but not limited to) countertop ranges, garbage disposal units, wall ovens, water pressure systems, range hoods, vacuum systems, and dishwashers;
- natural gas and electrical materials that are not installed by an allied gas fitter/electrician licensed by the Province of Manitoba;
- used equipment or materials;
- masonry or carpentry for mantels or hearths (unless part of a larger project);
- companion appliances purchased independently;
- back-up generators;
- sump pumps;
- your labour – only materials and equipment are eligible for do-it-yourself projects;
- labour in the absence of a qualified technology;
- any replacement parts.
How to apply
A registered program supplier (contractor or retailer) will work with you to determine if your project is eligible for financing and will help you complete the loan application.
Contractors and retailers: if you are not on our registered supplier list, you can apply now to become a registered supplier.