Energy Finance Plan
The Energy Finance Plan is convenient on-bill financing for upgrades to gas and electrical systems. It is available to Manitoba Hydro residential, small commercial, farm, and seasonal customers.
- You can finance up to $ per residence.
- The maximum term is 5 years.
- The annual interest rate is currently 6.75% (O.A.C.).
- The minimum monthly payment is $15.
- The minimum amount that can be financed is $500.
- Monthly instalments will be applied to your energy bill. Repayment of the loan is the responsibility of the homeowner and not the tenant.
- Additional payments may be made at any time with no penalty.
- A $20 administration fee will apply for complete payments prior to 6 months.
- The loan becomes due and payable when the house is sold. The loan is not transferable.
- The cost of one upgrade cannot be split between two Energy Finance Plan Agreements or between financing programs.
- You must be the owner of the property in which energy improvements are made and have an active Manitoba Hydro account in good standing.
- If the upgrade is for a seasonal property that is on seasonal billing, you must be changed to monthly billing to be eligible for the Energy Finance Plan.
The loan covers the following qualifying upgrades:
- upgrades to electrical service entrance and panel board equipment;
- wiring circuits and associated equipment;
- natural gas piping, venting, delivery, permit costs, and taxes;
- central air conditioning systems (must have a minimum seasonal energy efficient ratio [SEER] of 13.0);
- electric/conventional natural gas water heaters (electric must meet CSA C-191 standard);
- chimney liner in conjunction with a qualifying water heater.
- electric and natural gas furnaces/boilers for seasonal, farm, and commercial customers;
- combination heating systems;
- unit heaters (natural convection, forced air, or forced air infrared);
- direct vent natural gas fireplaces (built-in and free-standing);
- security lighting and fixtures when undertaking electrical and energy improvement work;
- gas pool heaters;
- permanently installed electronic air cleaners (the use of any plug-in type of power adapter is not allowed);
- permanently installed humidifiers (hard-wired);
- permanently installed dehumidifiers (hard-wired);
- permanently installed air purifiers (hard-wired);
- furnace UV lights;
- ERVs not rated to −25°C;
- air source heat pumps for natural gas heated properties;
- radon mitigation (through a C-NRPP certified contractor).
Financing is not available for:
- wiring and related equipment for buildings not previously supplied with electrical service;
- unoccupied homes or homes under construction;
- projects in progress or already completed;
- purchase of free-standing or built-in-appliances including (but not limited to) countertop ranges, garbage disposal units, wall ovens, water pressure systems, range hoods, vacuum systems, and dishwashers;
- natural gas and electrical materials that are not installed by an allied gas fitter/electrician licensed by the Province of Manitoba;
- used equipment or materials;
- masonry or carpentry for mantels or hearths (unless part of a larger project);
- companion appliances purchased independently;
- back-up generators;
- sump pumps;
- your labour – only materials and equipment are eligible for do-it-yourself projects;
- labour in the absence of a qualified technology;
- any replacement parts.
How to apply
To participate in our financing programs, you must contact a registered program supplier (contractor or retailer). The registered program supplier works with you to ensure your project is eligible. They help you complete a loan application and submit it to us for approval. You must have approval before starting any work or buying materials.
We do not provide a registered suppliers list or endorse any service professionals. If you would like to participate in our residential financing programs but your contractor or retailer is not registered in our network of suppliers, they can apply to join.