Skip to Sub Navigation

Main Menu


If you are responsible for paying the utility bills (whether you own or rent), this is what you should know on moving day.

Manitoba Address Change Logo

Visit to notify us, along with other organizations, of your change of address. Save time and avoid duplicating your efforts as you update your contact information for:

  • Manitoba Hydro;
  • Manitoba Health;
  • City of Winnipeg Water and Waste.

Moving Out

Stop your current service and change your address at

  • Current owners are responsible for their property's utility bills until the new owner's legal possession date.
  • Tenants who pay their own utilities are responsible for those charges until the date they return their keys to the property owner, even if that date is earlier than their lease expiry. Property owners are billed for natural gas and electricity while the rental unit is vacant.

Moving On

Start your new service (electricity and/or natural gas) and change your address at

  • All adults (spouses or roommates) in a household who share responsibilities for utility bills should have their names included on the account. Those names should be updated as circumstances change.
  • If you have not yet established a satisfactory credit history with us, you may be required to provide a credit guarantee (i.e. Pre-Authorized Payment Plan, credit reference letter, photo identification, irrevocable letter of credit from a financial institution, credit worthy third party co-signer, or a monetary security deposit).
  • Your account number will change when you move to a different residence. If you currently pay your bill by telephone or an online payment service through your financial institution, be sure to inform your financial institution that your Manitoba Hydro account number has changed.

Moving Away

If you're moving out-of-province and applying for services with another utility, you may need to request a credit reference letter.

Renters/Tenants and Landlords

Tenants who are responsible for electricity and/or natural gas services in a rental unit should contact us to start or stop their service. Landlords can also contact us to let us know about any changes. Use the forms above or call 204-480-5900 in Winnipeg or 1-888-MBHYDRO (1-888-624-9376) from outside Winnipeg.