Natural gas permits and inspections
All natural gas equipment and appliances must be installed by a licensed gas fitter (usually a plumbing and heating dealer). A Manitoba Hydro natural gas inspector will then check the installation to ensure that it has been installed according to all federal and provincial gas code requirements.
All natural gas work must:
- be installed by a qualified and licensed gas fitter, and natural gas permits must be issued and received from the Office of the Fire Commissioner prior to beginning any work;
- be inspected by a Manitoba Hydro natural gas inspector (some commercial/industrial installations also require an inspection by the Office of the Fire Commissioner);
- follow the national Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code and Office of the Fire Commissioner requirements.
Problems with natural gas equipment
A no charge labour service is available to all residential and small commercial natural gas customers for problems with primary space and water heating appliances, and gas ranges.
We respond to all safety-related service requests regardless of the type of appliance.
- Repairs related to gas supply and combustion are completed at no charge, except for replacement parts and these costs are applied to your monthly gas bill.
- For other problems such as fan motors, fan belts or heat exchangers, which are not related to the gas supply and combustion, contact a licensed plumbing and heating dealer of your choice to complete the repairs.