Natural gas project review
We must approve any work on or around any natural gas infrastructure. Apply for our approval of your construction or excavation project and we will review your application and contact you. We cannot process your request without all required information and documents. Construction cannot start until you receive our response letter, and we locate and mark underground natural gas utilities.
Before you apply, read our Safe Excavation and Safety Watch Guidelines (PDF, 1.2 MB).
Read all the steps before you start the application
The steps list your responsibilities and possible timelines.
Request as-built drawings
Request natural gas infrastructure drawings for your project area:
Determine if your project requires a review
Read our checklist (PDF, 55 KB) and check the as-built drawings to determine if your project requires a review.
- If a review is required, read the rest of the steps and include your natural gas infrastructure construction plans with your application.
- If your project does not require a review, no further action is required.
Gather all the required information and supporting documents before you start the online application.
You must include all of the following:
- legal business name and contact information;
- construction plans (include natural gas infrastructure, and add a “caution – gas” note to your drawing set wherever gas mains are present);
- detailed description of any items installed outside of public right-of-way;
- vehicle and equipment descriptions and weight (both wheeled and tracked);
- crossing numbers and map of temporary equipment and vehicle crossing access routes.
Request a line locate or safety watch
You must complete a line locate request prior to any excavation or construction operations. Work must start within 14 days of the completed underground locate. If the nature of the work changes or the marks become displaced, stop work and get a new locate.
Request a line locate or safety watch (minimum notices required):
Determine depth of existing natural gas lines
Work over any pipeline (regardless of size), cannot begin until the existing depth of cover by soft digging methods is determined.
Include all gas line depth information in your application for review.
Vibratory compaction methods cannot be used within 3.0 metres of transmission-pressure or high-pressure natural gas main, or within 1.0 metre of a distribution-pressure natural gas main or service line.
Static compaction of granular material can be built up in 300 mm layers until minimum cover is achieved.
After you apply
Once you have submitted a complete application, we will assign someone to your project. They will contact you for any missing information and provide you with a response letter.
For help with your application or for more information: