More in this section

International power lines

Our international power lines (IPLs) are regulated federally by the Canadian Energy Regulator (CER). The CER establishes and enforces the rules and regulations governing activity types permitted within the right-of-way area of an international power line. CER rules and regulations apply to the right-of-way. In circumstances where no right-of-way is registered, CER rules and regulations apply to the prescribed area which is within 30 metres from either side of the centerline of the power line.

We have permanent warning markers on all of our international transmission towers.

Following CER regulations promotes the safety of everyone working and living near the IPLs. It helps prevent contact with, and damage to, the IPLs, and protects the surrounding environment. These regulations must be strictly observed by both landowners and Manitoba Hydro when working near and within the right-of-way or prescribed area (where no right-of-way is registered).

If a person or company does not comply with the CER’s regulatory requirements, the CER may take enforcement actions such as monetary penalties or suspension of activities to ensure compliance.

Locations of our international power lines

We have 5 IPLs:

A map of manitoba showing the locations of international power lines.

  1. Glenboro to Peace Gardens
  2. Letellier to Drayton
  3. Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Line
  4. Riel to Forbes
  5. Richer to Moranville

Agricultural and working activities in the right-of-way

The closer your activity is to the right-of-way, the greater your risk of coming in contact with an IPL. CER regulations require that before you perform certain activities within the IPL’s right-of-way, you must have our written authorization.

Activities requiring written authorization include, but are not limited to:

  • Construction of a facility across, on, along or under an international power line.
  • An activity that reduces the height of clearance between the overhead transmission line to the ground.
  • An activity that causes a ground disturbance greater than 30 cm or any activity that removes coverage within the right-of-way area of an international power line (or if no right-of-way is registered for the international power line, within 30 metres from the centerline of the power line). A ground disturbance is any activity that moves or penetrates the ground excluding cultivation to a depth of less than 45 cm or any activity to a depth less than 30 cm that does not result in reduction of the earth cover.
  • Operation of a vehicle or mobile equipment across an international power line outside of the travelled portion of a highway or public road.

Cultivation restrictions

Cultivation refers to preparing land for producing crops. Unless we advise otherwise, you may perform shallow cultivation (less than 45 cm in depth) such as disking, plowing, and harrowing without our written authorization. This does not include activities such as land grading for drainage within the right-of-way or prescribed area.

Constructing a facility

Prior to constructing any facility across, on, along, or under the right-of-way and prescribed area, you must:

  • receive our written authorization to perform the activity;
  • make a line locate request with us;
  • follow all safety information provided by us.

Examples of facilities can include, but are not limited to:

  • a built or installed structure (for example, a fence, concrete conduit structure, swimming pool, retaining wall, shed, rink, gazebo, sign, tree, or any structure within the right-of-way);
  • a drainage or irrigation system, including dykes, ditches, and culverts;
  • a highway, private road, lane, parking lot, walkway;
  • a pipe (for example, water main, sewer, gas line, oil line);
  • a railway;
  • a telecommunications line or power line;
  • any vehicle parked within the right-of-way (for example, cars, boats, trailers, RVs, buses).

It is the responsibility of the person performing the ground disturbance in the prescribed area or right-of-way to ensure that a line locate request has been made. All buried and overhead facilities must be identified, and their locations marked, before any work or activity commences.

Work safely near our IPLs

For more information about working safely around IPLs, call us at 1-888-624-9376.

To apply for written authorization for your construction or excavation project email us.

Learn more about CER regulations governing activities within an IPL’s prescribed area and right-of-way:

Click before you dig

There may also be provincially and locally regulated facilities such as pipelines and cables in your work area. These facilities may include oil and gas field gathering pipes, gas distribution systems, fibre optic telecommunication cables, water and sewer lines, and electrical cables.

Before you start any ground disturbance activity, contact or call 1-800-940-3447.

For emergency line locate requests, call Click Before You Dig Manitoba at 1-800-940-3447.