Electrical permits and inspections
For property inside Winnipeg city limits
Arrange for electrical wiring permits and inspections from the City of Winnipeg:
- visit the City of Winnipeg Planning, Property and Development website;
- call the City of Winnipeg at 311.
For property outside Winnipeg city limits
Arrange for electrical wiring permits and inspections from Manitoba Hydro for:
- any new building, renovation or addition;
- the installation of any electrical equipment;
- any alteration, repair, or extension of any electrical equipment.
Before any electrical work is started, you must have an electrical permit.
- To obtain an electrical permit, complete an Electrical Permit Application (PDF, 28 KB) and submit it to your local Manitoba Hydro Customer Service Centre. Electrical contractors can submit their applications online through ePermit.
- View electrical contractor permit fees (PDF, 33 KB).
- View electrical codes, standards, and guides.
By law, all electrical wiring in Manitoba must be inspected to ensure compliance with local bylaws and the Manitoba Electrical Code (PDF, 595 KB). All wiring must be visible for inspection and all electrical equipment must be approved.
For inquiries about your commercial electrical permits and inspections:
For inquiries about service applications:
Electrical equipment approval
For inquiries about the requirements for electrical equipment approvals, contact:
Note: Manitoba Hydro recognizes a number of Certification Bodies (CBs) and Inspection Bodies (IBs) to provide certification, field approval, and special acceptance services for electrical equipment. Read Bulletin OFC 18_012.