More in this section

Electrical permits and inspections

Before any electrical work is started, you must have an electrical permit. Electrical wiring must be installed safely and correctly in accordance with the current Manitoba Electrical Code.

Depending on where the work is done, electrical wiring permits and inspections are provided by either the City of Winnipeg or Manitoba Hydro.

For property inside Winnipeg city limits

Arrange for electrical wiring permits and inspections from the City of Winnipeg Planning, Property and Development or call 311.

For property outside Winnipeg city limits

Manitoba Hydro provides electrical wiring permits and inspections for:

  • any new building, renovation or addition;
  • the installation of any electrical equipment;
  • any alteration, repair, or extension of any electrical equipment.

Electrical wiring permits

You must have a permit account before you can apply for commercial/residential electrical wiring ePermits, or residential do-it-yourself wiring permits. Electrical contractors require a license to register for ePermits. Homeowners completing a self-wire do not require a license to register for ePermits.

If you are unable to register for an ePermits account, contact us or complete an Electrical Permit Application (PDF, 28 KB) and submit it to your local Manitoba Hydro Customer Service Centre.

Back to top

Manitoba electrician’s license verification

To perform electrical work in the Province of Manitoba, electricians must have a valid Manitoba journeyperson electrician’s license as issued by Inspection and Technical Services Manitoba.

You must provide proof of your valid provincial electrician’s license to receive electrical permits from Manitoba Hydro. If we do not have verification of your valid license, this may result in a suspension of your electrical permit account and delay electrical permits.

Manitoba electrician’s license renewal

Back to top

Permit account

A permit account gives you a monthly billing statement of all your electrical permit charges.

You can sign up to have your monthly permit bills sent digitally through Manitoba Hydro’s online account. We also offer a pre-authorized payment plan for permit accounts.

A valid Manitoba journeyperson electrician’s license as issued by Inspection and Technical Services Manitoba is required.

Apply for a permit account

Back to top


An ePermits account allows you to:

  • submit new or modify existing applications from anywhere, at any time;
  • upload plans electronically;
  • view online status for all permits;
  • speed the confirmation of electrical permits.

To register for an ePermit account, you must have:

  • a valid Manitoba journeyperson electrician’s license;
  • a permit account number;
  • the amount due from your most recent permit account bill (if applicable).

Homeowners doing self-wiring work can apply for an ePermit account but do not need an electrical license.

Log in to ePermits Register for ePermits

Back to top

Electrical inspections

By law, all electrical wiring in Manitoba must be inspected to ensure compliance with the Manitoba Electrical Code.

All wiring must be visible for inspection and all electrical equipment must be approved.

When the work has passed its final inspection, your permit may be closed.

For commercial projects, contractors can contact the area inspector to arrange an inspection.

For residential work, the electrician or homeowner can call 1-888-624-9376 to arrange an inspection.

Back to top

Electrical equipment approval

Manitoba Hydro recognizes a number of Certification Bodies and Inspection Bodies to provide certification, field approval, and special acceptance services for electrical equipment. Read Inspection and Technical Services Manitoba Bulletin OFC 18_012.

For more information about electrical equipment approval requirements, contact Inspection and Technical Services Manitoba:

Back to top

Contact us

For inquiries about ePermits, email Manitoba Hydro.

For inquiries about electrical inspections, contact the Manitoba Hydro electrical inspector in your area.

Back to top