Connecting your project with electric or natural gas starts with an online service application. Before you apply for residential service, read the technical requirements (PDF, 974 KB).

Incomplete applications will delay the connection process.

Step 1

Online application

Gather all required information and supporting documents before you start the online application.

You must include all of following:

  • building/lot owner name;
  • natural gas and/or electric meter numbers (required for upgrade work);
  • contractor’s name;
  • electrical information:
    • size of requested service;
    • type of requested service (overhead, underground, or temporary service);
    • total added load.
  • natural gas information:
    • detailed loads, including future loads.
  • site plan, which includes:
    • property dimensions;
    • driveway location;
    • distances from front and side lot lines to the building;
    • proximity or distance from existing Manitoba Hydro lines.
    View example site plans for new service (PDF, 151 KB) or changes to existing service (PDF, 145 KB).

Apply for service

After you apply

Once you have submitted a complete application and site plan, we will assign someone to your project. They will contact you for any missing information, discuss project scope, load, service dates, and arrange for an on-site meeting.

They may request your drawing which may include a site plan, building layout, and driveway locations.

Step 2

Estimate and agreements

We will provide an estimate and service agreement for your residential service construction. If your application was incomplete in any way, there will be a delay in providing your estimates, and electrical and/or natural gas agreements.

During this step, we will:

  • meet you on-site;
  • review the site plan with the applicant (and contractor, if possible);
  • determine the service point location on the building, where applicable;
  • review electrical and gas loading;
  • discuss the project completion date.

Step 3

Planning and design

After we receive your signed agreements and payments, we may meet you on-site to review your project.

During this step, we will:

  • create a detailed design for your project;
  • request easement agreements;
  • order materials for construction.

You will sign off on any required agreements.

Step 4

Easements and approvals

Before any service construction can be scheduled:

  • we will request any easement agreements;
  • you will sign off on the easement agreements.

As easements are registered and approved by other entities, we are not responsible for any delays.

Step 5

Site preparation and construction

After the design plan is complete and any easements have been registered, we will inspect your site for readiness and contact Click Before You Dig MB and other utilities before we begin construction.

The site must:

  • have a final grade of ± 6″;
  • have all trees cleared, stumps removed, and garbage removed from construction area;
  • have all required electrical and/or natural gas permits.

Permits are not required when you apply for service, but before we can turn your service on you must have all applicable permits and have passed all inspections.

Step 6

Service connection

Once construction is complete and your site has passed all inspections, we turn on your service.

For electrical wiring or renovation of a mobile home you must contact the Office of the Fire Commissioner for inspection and approval.

All electrical work:

  • must be installed by a qualified and licensed electrical contractor, and electrical permits must be issued and received prior to beginning any work;
  • must be inspected by a Manitoba Hydro or City of Winnipeg electrical inspector;
  • must comply with the Manitoba Electrical Code for installations in the jurisdiction of Manitoba Hydro, and the City of Winnipeg Electrical Bylaw when in the jurisdiction of the City of Winnipeg.

All natural gas work:

  • must be installed by a qualified and licensed gas fitter, and natural gas permits must be issued and received from the Office of the Fire Commissioner prior to beginning any work;
  • must be inspected by a Manitoba Hydro natural gas inspector (some commercial/industrial installations also require an inspection by the Office of the Fire Commissioner);
  • must follow the national Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code and Office of the Fire Commissioner requirements.

To contact the Office of the Fire Commissioner, visit their website or phone 204-945-3373.