Residential do-it-yourself wiring
We strongly recommend that wiring be done by licensed electricians.
If you are capable and would like to do your own wiring:
- You must be the owner and occupy the single dwelling as a permanent residence or seasonal property.
- You must personally perform the electrical work.
- The electrical service on the property must not exceed 200 Amperes.
Only a licensed electrician can do work:
- in a hazardous location;
- on hot tubs or swimming pools;
- on renewable energy systems and generators;
- on the consumer’s service. This is the point where Manitoba Hydro connects to the premises to supply power. It includes the mast, meter socket and service box (main breaker or fuses).
Your permit application may take up to 5 business days to process. We will email you your approved permit and you will receive a bill within 30 days. The electrical permit charges will be billed at the end of each month, with payment required by the due date.