More in this section

Residential do-it-yourself wiring

We strongly recommend that wiring be done by licensed electricians. Electrical wiring must be installed safely and correctly in accordance with the current Manitoba Electrical Code.

If you are capable and would like to do your own wiring:

  • You must be the owner and occupy the single dwelling as a permanent residence or seasonal property.
  • You must personally perform the electrical work.
  • The electrical service on the property must not exceed 200 Amperes.

You must get a licensed electrician to:

  • work in a hazardous location;
  • work on hot tubs or swimming pools;
  • work on renewable energy systems and generators;
  • work on the consumer’s service. This is the point where Manitoba Hydro connects to the premises to supply power. It includes the mast, meter socket and service box (main breaker or fuses).

Your permit application may take up to 5 business days to process. We will email you your approved permit and you will receive a bill within 30 days. The electrical permit charges will be billed at the end of each month, with payment required by the due date.

If you need to change or cancel your application, contact us.

For property inside Winnipeg city limits

For property outside Winnipeg city limits

Arrange for electrical wiring permits and inspections from Manitoba Hydro for:

  • any new building, renovation or addition;
  • any outbuilding (including detached garages, carports, sheds, etc.);
  • swimming pool or hot tub (with a pump or water heater) installation;
  • furnace and air conditioner installation or replacement.

Apply for a self-wire permit

Contact us

To make an appointment for a residential wiring inspection or to ask about service applications and electrical inspections: