Regulatory approval & filings
Manitoba Sustainable Development granted Environment Act Licence No. 3055 to Manitoba Hydro on August 14, 2013 for the construction, operation, and maintenance of the Bipole III Transmission Project. Read more about Bipole III.
The environmental assessment for the project, includes a comprehensive program of community/public consultation and identification of potential impacts and mitigation measures, is documented in an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).
The Environmental Protection Program (EPP) for the Bipole III Project prescribes mitigation and protection measures to avoid and reduce potential environmental and social effects.
As part of the regulatory review, a table (PDF, 862 KB) was submitted to the Clean Environment Commission and to Manitoba Sustainable Development outlining all the mitigation measures that were indicated in the Environmental Impact Statement that would be used for the Project.
- Project environmental protection plans;
- Construction environmental protection plans;
- Access management plans;
- Annual harvest plans;
- Annual monitoring reports;
- Weekly biosecurity monitoring reports.
Discussions regarding monitoring and mitigation are ongoing. Methods of engagement and summaries of information from meeting minutes with communities can be found on the public registry.
Environmental Impact Statement December 2011
- Executive Summary (PDF, 73 KB);
- Chapter 1 - Introduction (PDF, 452 KB)
- Chapter 2 - Need and Alternatives (PDF, 922 KB)
- Chapter 3 - Project Description (PDF, 62.8 MB)
- Chapter 4 - Environmental Assessment Approach (PDF, 594 KB);
- Chapter 5 - Environmental Assessment Consultation Program (PDF, 771 KB)
- Chapter 6 - Existing Environment (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Chapter 7 - Identification and Evaluation of Alternative Routes and Sites (PDF, 492 KB)
- Appendix 7A - Preliminary Preferred Route Selection Process (PDF, 1.2 MB);
- Appendix 7B - Preliminary Preferred Route Adjustments (PDF, 70 KB);
- Maps (12.9 MB).
- Chapter 8 - Effects Assessment and Mitigation (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Maps (PDF, 7.8 MB).
- Chapter 9 - Cumulative Effects Assessment (PDF, 308 KB);
- Chapter 10 - Sustainability Assessment (PDF, 448 KB);
- Chapter 11 - Environmental Protection, Follow-up and Monitoring (PDF, 348 KB)
- Attachment 11-1 Draft Environmental Protection Plan (PDF, 2.6 MB).
- Abbreviations, Acronyms and Units (PDF, 232 KB);
- Glossary (PDF, 375 KB).
- Aboriginal Traditional Knowledge
- Report 1 (PDF, 12.9 MB);
- Report 2 (PDF, 372 KB)
- Agriculture (PDF, 7.1 MB)
- Aquatics (PDF, 12.9 MB)
- Appendix 1 (PDF, 112 KB);
- Appendix 2 (PDF, 112 KB);
- Appendix 3 (PDF, 30 KB);
- Appendix 4 (PDF, 209 KB);
- Appendix 5 (PDF, 4.7 MB);
- Appendix 6a 1-60 (PDF, 50 MB);
- Appendix 6b 61-119 (PDF, 48 MB);
- Appendix 6c 120-180 (PDF, 48 MB);
- Appendix 6d 181-280 (PDF, 50.1 MB);
- Appendix 6e 281-317 (PDF, 22.6 MB)
- Appendix 7a 1-24 (PDF, 29.1 MB);
- Appendix 7a 25-43 (PDF, 22.9 MB);
- Appendix 8 (PDF, 5.7 MB);
- Appendix 9 (PDF, 6.1 MB);
- Appendix 10 (PDF, 2.3 MB);
- Appendices 11-13 (PDF, 369 KB).
- Birds (PDF, 6.5 MB).
- Caribou (PDF, 3.5 MB)
- Economic Impact Assessment (PDF, 280 KB);
- Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) (PDF, 4.2 MB);
- Environmental Public Consultation (PDF, 11.8 MB);
- Forestry (PDF, 17.4 MB);
- GPS Reports (PDF, 2.3 MB);
- Greenhouse Gas Lifecycle Assessment (PDF, 1.3 MB);
- Groundwater (PDF, 10.1 MB);
- Habitat Fragmentation (PDF, 2.1 MB);
- Heritage (PDF, 10 MB);
- Lands of Special Interest and TLE (PDF, 16.5 MB);
- Land Use (PDF, 21.5 MB);
- Mammals (PDF, 2 MB)
- Resource Use (PDF, 12.5 MB);
- Socio-Economic (PDF, 16.4 MB)
- Terrain and Soils (PDF, 2.6 MB)
- Terrestrial Ecosystems and Vegetation (PDF, 20.4 MB);
- Terrestrial Invertebrates Amphibians and Reptiles (PDF, 20.4 MB);
- Transportation (PDF, 9.3 MB).
- Tourond Proposed Route Adjustment Consultation Report (PDF, 1.4 MB);
- Fox Lake Final Traditional Knowledge Report (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Related maps (PDF, 200 KB).
- Southern Ground Electrode Line Route Selection Report (PDF, 660 KB).
July - September 2012
On August 8, 2012, Manitoba Hydro filed a supplementary report on caribou with the Manitoba Clean Environment Commission and Manitoba Sustainable Development in support of the Bipole III Environmental Impact Statement.
Supplemental Caribou Technical Report August 2012.
On July 31, 2012, Manitoba Hydro filed supplementary materials with the Manitoba Clean Environment Commission and Manitoba Sustainable Development in support of the Bipole III Environmental Impact Statement.
Bipole III Environmental Impact Statement Supplemental Material - July 2012. (PDF, 10 MB)
August 28, 2012, Environment Act Licence for Keewatinoow Lagoon received by Manitoba Sustainable Development (PDF, 6.2 MB)
September 12, 2012 filings - supplemental materials at the request of the Clean Environment Commission.
- Letter of submission to CEC (PDF, 387 KB);
- Maps associated with the Agricultural Technical Report
- Fox Lake Cree Nation Position Paper (PDF, 213 KB);
- Project Description Update (PDF, 582 KB);
- Repeater Station Update (PDF, 1.1 MB);
- Pre-Construction Plant Survey Update (PDF, 21 KB).
Route adjustment fillings
On January 28, 2013, we submitted a supplemental assessment report on 3 route adjustments to Manitoba Sustainable Development. The report outlined the environmental assessment undertaken at the request of Manitoba Sustainable Development for the 3 route adjustments and was the focus of review at the Clean Environment Commission Public Hearings that were held in early March 2013.
Supplemental Environmental Assessment Report. (PDF, 17 MB).
- Moose Meadows Area Adjusted Final Preferred Route Map (PDF, 371 KB);
- GHA19A and GHA14A Adjusted Final Preferred Route Map (PDF, 522 KB);
- Wabowden Area Adjusted Final Preferred Route Map (PDF, 446 KB).
On February 19, 2013, we filed the following supplemental material with Manitoba Sustainable Development:
- Additional Meeting Notes (PDF, 78 KB);
- Wuskwi Sipihk Traditional Land Use and Occupancy Report (PDF, 246 KB).
Project environmental protection plans
Construction environmental protection plans
- Riel Converter Station and Ground Electrode (PDF, 2.3 MB);
- AC Collector Lines, Construction Power Line and Station (PDF, 5.0 MB)
- Keewatinohk Converter Station and Ground Electrode (PDF, 9.3 MB)
- Transmission Line Construction Environmental Protection Plan (PDF, 3 MB)
- Transmission Line Segment N1 Mapbook
- Transmission Line Segment N2 Mapbook
- Transmission Line Segment N3 Mapbook
- Transmission Line Segment N4 Mapbook
- Transmission Line Segment C1 Mapbook
- Transmission Line Segment C2 Mapbook
- Transmission Line Segment S1
- Transmission Line Segment S2
Access management plans
Annual harvest plans
- Keewatinoow Converter Station Facilities, Infrastructure and Ground Electrode;
- Transmission Line (PDF, 417 KB)
- Maps 1 to 7 (PDF, 4.3 MB);
- Maps 8 to 12(PDF, 4.3 MB);
- Maps 13 to 17(PDF, 4.0 MB);
- Maps 18 to 25 (PDF, 4.2 MB);
- Maps 26 to 33 (PDF, 4.6 MB);
- Maps 34 to 39 (PDF, 3.9 MB);
- Maps 40 to 45 (PDF, 4.4 MB);
- Maps 46 to 52 (PDF, 4.1 MB);
- Maps 53 to 58 (PDF, 4.3 MB);
- Maps 59 to 67 (PDF, 4.3 MB);
- Maps 68 to 76 (PDF, 4.4 MB);
- Maps 77 to 86 (PDF, 4.2 MB);
- Maps 87 to 95 (PDF, 3.8 MB).
Annual monitoring reports
Weekly biosecurity monitoring reports
- July 30, 2017 (PDF, 497 KB);
- August 6, 2017 (PDF, 92 KB);
- August 13, 2017 (PDF, 83 KB);
- August 20, 2017 (PDF, 39 KB);
- August 27, 2017 (PDF, 291 KB);
- September 3, 2017 (PDF, 292 KB);
- September 10, 2017 (PDF, 82 KB);
- September 17, 2017 (PDF, 87 KB);
- September 24, 2017 (PDF, 291 KB).
GIS data – project infrastructure for download
This zip file contains spatial files in ESRI Shapefile format of the project infrastructure. They are viewable using geographic information system software. We recommend extracting the files to your computer, rather than opening them online. The .kml file will allow you to view the route(s) with software such as Google Earth®.