Birtle Transmission Project
We are planning a new 230-kV transmission line from Birtle Station, south of the community of Birtle, to the Manitoba–Saskatchewan border.
More detailed mapping is available in the document library.
SaskPower will be responsible for the portion of the transmission line in Saskatchewan that will connect to their station in Tantallon, SK.
Transmission line routing process
Input received through the engagement and environmental assessment processes assisted in determining the final preferred route for the project. The transmission line routing process considers how well routes balance potential effects to human, technical and natural environments from the start to the end point. Data gathering, on the ground fieldwork, and the input of numerous technical specialists, the public, Indigenous communities/organizations, and stakeholders was taken into account when determining the final placement of the transmission line.
- Public and Indigenous engagement, and environmental assessment: fall 2016 to spring 2017 (completed);
- Environmental Assessment: fall 2016 to late 2017 (completed);
- Environmental assessment filing: early 2018 (completed);
- Construction start: following Licence receipt.
Sign up to be emailed when there are upcoming events or new project materials available on our website:
Comment sheets, newsletters, and storyboards presented at open houses and to interested parties are available in the document library.
For more information about the Birtle Transmission Project:
- Email Licensing & Environmental Assessment.
- Phone toll-free at 1-877-343-1631.
Licensing & Environmental Assessment
360 Portage Ave. (5)
Winnipeg MB R3C 0G8.